Who We Are
The Friends of Clinton Library are dedicated to promoting learning, encouraging reading, and enhancing the Clinton community. We are a non-profit volunteer organization.
The Friends of Clinton Library was formed in the late 1980s with a desire to have a library in Clinton. The dream was realized in 2000 with the Friends obtaining a building and a mortgage. Thanks to many volunteer hours and generous supporters, the mortgage was paid off in 2008. The library became so successful that we are now dreaming about expanding. We are looking for partners, volunteers, and donations for this journey.
What We Do
The Friends of Clinton Library raises funds by membership, donations, and a monthly book sale. With these raised funds we contribute to:
- Children and adult programs
- Summer Reads program
- Whidbey Reads program
- Landscaping and building remodeling or enhancements
- Continuing education for Clinton library staff
- Book discussion groups
The monthly book sale is our major fundraiser. It is held the third Saturday of each month (except December) from 10 am to 3 pm at the Clinton Hall. We have thousands of books organized by category. Come support us and visit with your neighbors!
When We Meet
The Friends of Clinton Library Board meets the first Wednesday of each month from 9 to 11 am at the Clinton Library (4781 Deer Lake Rd, Clinton, WA). Members and the public are always welcome at the board meetings. The annual general meeting is held in November. At this time the year is reviewed, officers elected, and volunteers recognized. A program is presented. The community is invited. Other membership meetings are called as needed.
Book sales: Volunteers are needed (by the way, this is really a fun group!)
- Sort donated books during the month (time commitment 1-5 hours per week)
- On Saturday monthly book sale day
- To transfer books from the shed to the Clinton Hall and later in the day reverse the process. (up to 45 minutes of strenuous work for each transfer. Must be able to lift 25 pounds repeatedly)
- Set tables for books at morning or take down tables after sale (½ hour each)
- To arrange books on tables in the community hall (usually ½ to 1 hour)
- To cashier and meet the community members coming to the sale ( usually 2 hour shifts)
Note: Morning book sale volunteers get to view the books during the transfer and can select books to purchase before the sale is opened
Other volunteer opportunities (talk to librarian or a board member) Here are a few needs.
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Strategic planning
- Introduce the Friends through social media
- Let your expertise tell us what we need
Books in good condition are always appreciated. Damaged or moldy books are not useful; please take them to the recycle center. We also do not accept magazines, encyclopedias, Reader's Digest, and National Geographic. Outdated text books, old dictionaries or old computer books are not saleable. DVD and CD are accepted but please no VHS video or audio cassette.
If you have a large collection, please call Marvin at 360-579-3940 for evaluation and pick up.
How To Join
The membership year begins on June 1, but you can join at any time. Annual dues are:
- Individual $10
- Family $20
- Business/Organization $20
For more information, speak to our friendly librarians.
Information on Donating
Monetary donations are welcome and tax deductible. They may be unrestricted donations or for a specific purpose, or in memory of or to honor a person. Goods and services will be considered by the Friends of Clinton Library Board. Please send monetary donations to Friends of Clinton Library, PO Box 253, Clinton, WA 98236. Talk to the librarian or any board member for other forms of donations.