Finding books by reading level in the library catalog is possible, but not always perfect.
Here is what you need to do:
- Start at Sno-Isle Libraries Home Page search box and enter 2.5 or whatever level you want.
- This brings up a list of titles for you to look at.
- At your results screen, look over on the right side of the screen for the 'Narrow your search' column. Click on 'Target Audience'. Click on 'Juvenile'. You can further narrow your search by 'Type of Material" and click on 'Book' if you don't want to see media included.
- As you browse down through the list, you should see in each record the words 'Target Audience:2.5'. That is your reading grade level.
Here are the problems to be aware of:
- Since this is a keyword search you will find other items including dvds, books for adults, etc. that may have those numbers in its record, for instance "Mercury/Mariner outboard shop manual, 2.5-60HP...". But for the most part the results are the reading level books.
- This works best if you have a number with decimal, 2.1, 2.2 etc. If you just used the number '2' you would receive too many irrelevant titles. You could also try searching on just the key words "reading level" and narrow to juvenile, but keep in mind results may need to be picked through.
- Not every childrens title has yet been assigned a reading level, so they won't be found by this method. We are adding these in as we can, but the list is by no means complete. We use the AR BookFinder US website to help us identify general reading grade levels for specific titles.
A couple of tips:
- A librarian at your community library will be happy to show you where the printed copies of the AR lists are shelved if they have them. Many of our libraries do, but it would be a good idea to call your library first to make sure.
- Many schools make their AR lists available on their web sites. A list of individual schools can be found on the Snohomish County's Web site or in Island County by individual district: Coupeville School District No. 204, Oak Harbor School District, South Whidbey School District. Stanwood-Camano School District overlaps county borders.
- If you are looking for Easy Readers (sometimes called Easy Chapter Books) these are easily found in the library with the a spine label "R" that identifies them.
Artwork Copyright © 2009 Erik Brooks
. All Rights Reserved.
Sno-Isle Libraries: Connecting people, ideas and culture
Sno-Isle Libraries Administrative & Service Center, 7312 35th Ave NE, Marysville, WA 98271-7417
360-651-7000 (local) • 877-766-4753 (toll free) • 360-651-7151 (fax)
©2014 Sno-Isle Libraries